The cat was awakened at dawn by a mouse. As if all this weren’t complicated enough, awake is also an adjective: Because of the cat, I too am now awake.
What is the meaning of wakefulness?
unable to sleep; not sleeping; indisposed to sleep: Excitement made the children wakeful. characterized by absence of sleep: a wakeful night. watchful; alert; vigilant: a wakeful foe.
Is wakefulness a real word?
Wakefulness is a condition of being alert, rather than sleepy.
What’s another word for wakefulness?
In this page you can discover 16 synonyms, antonyms, idiomatic expressions, and related words for wakefulness, like: vigilance, alertness, wariness, sleeplessness, somnambulism, pernoctation, prudence, insomnia, watchfulness, awareness and sleepiness.
What causes wakefulness?
The optic nerve in your eyes senses the morning light. Then the SCN triggers the release of cortisol and other hormones to help you wake up. But when darkness comes at night, the SCN sends messages to the pineal gland. This gland triggers the release of the chemical melatonin.
How do you use wakefulness in a sentence?
Wakeful sentence example
- Many wakeful nights did she sit by my bedside in trembling expectation that each hour would be my last.” …
- He himself was feeling quite wakeful and even lively, tho he didn’t know why. …
- There was still only one night staff for wakeful duty.
Which brain controls sleep and wakefulness?
The brain stem, at the base of the brain, communicates with the hypothalamus to control the transitions between wake and sleep. (The brain stem includes structures called the pons, medulla, and midbrain.)
How do you stimulate wakefulness?
Here are nine tips:
- Control stress. Stress-induced emotions consume huge amounts of energy. …
- Lighten your load. One of the main reasons for fatigue is overwork. …
- Exercise. Exercise almost guarantees that you’ll sleep more soundly. …
- Avoid smoking. …
- Restrict your sleep. …
- Eat for energy. …
- Use caffeine to your advantage. …
- Limit alcohol.
Is stay an adverb?
So dictionaries categorize it as an adverb. It can modify a verb like “stay,” as in “stay awhile.” But here comes the hard part: A noun phrase that expresses a time element or duration is an adverbial. So “Stay a while,” which uses the noun “while,” is correct.
What is the verb of black?
blacked; blacking; blacks. Definition of black (Entry 3 of 6) intransitive verb. : to become black (see black entry 1) transitive verb.
Who is a grouch?
1a : a fit of bad temper. b : grudge, complaint. 2 : a habitually irritable or complaining person : grumbler.
What is being half asleep?
: not completely awake : very tired I was half asleep when you called.
Is Unsleeping a word?
Not in a state of sleep: awake, wakeful, wide-awake.
How can I increase my sleeping hormones?
Here are 17 evidence-based tips to sleep better at night.
- Increase bright light exposure during the day. …
- Reduce blue light exposure in the evening. …
- Don’t consume caffeine late in the day. …
- Reduce irregular or long daytime naps. …
- Try to sleep and wake at consistent times. …
- Take a melatonin supplement.
What chemical makes you sleep instantly?
During the night, the pineal gland produces a hormone called melatonin that makes you sleepy. Melatonin is produced in response to another hormone called norepinephrine.
Which part of the brain controls arousal?
The limbic system is important for control of mood, and the nucleus accumbens signal excitement and arousal. The path terminating in the prefrontal cortex is important in regulating motor movements, especially reward oriented movements.
What does voracity mean?
“Voracity” is one of two English words that mean “the quality or state of being voracious.” The other is “voraciousness,” which was once considered to be archaic but has made a comeback.
What is the opposite of wakefulness?
Antonyms: somnolence, drowsiness, sleepiness. Synonyms: vigilance, alertness, sleeplessness, watchfulness.
What is the meaning of sleep less?
1 : not able to sleep lay sleepless with fever. 2 : affording no sleep sleepless nights.
Why do I keep waking up multiple times at night?
Most people wake up once or twice during the night. Reasons this might happen include drinking caffeine or alcohol late in the day, a poor sleep environment, a sleep disorder, or another health condition. When you can’t get back to sleep quickly, you won’t get enough quality sleep to keep you refreshed and healthy.
How can I fall asleep in 10 seconds?
The military method
- Relax your entire face, including the muscles inside your mouth.
- Drop your shoulders to release the tension and let your hands drop to the side of your body.
- Exhale, relaxing your chest.
- Relax your legs, thighs, and calves.
- Clear your mind for 10 seconds by imagining a relaxing scene.
Is it normal to wake up 30 times a night?
It is common to wake up during sleep. In fact most people wake two or three times during the night. We can all remember a time, when as teenagers or young children, sleep was a continuous period of unawareness or oblivion that lasted between eight or nine hours, or even longer. However, that is not normal adult sleep.