If something is hypothetical, it is based on possible ideas or situations rather than actual ones.
What is the meaning of hypothetic?
Of, relating to, or based on a hypothesis: a hypothetical situation. 2. Conditional; contingent: the hypothetical meaning of a clause beginning with if. n. A hypothetical circumstance, condition, scenario, or situation: OK, let’s consider this possibility then—just as a hypothetical.
What is the word theoretically mean?
1 : according to an ideal or assumed set of facts or principles : in theory. 2 : in a theoretical way.
What is a hypothetical example?
A hypothetical example is a fictional example that can be used when a speaker is explaining a complicated topic that makes the most sense when it is put into more realistic or relatable terms.
Does a hypothetical have to be realistic?
Hypotheticals are a powerful tool for testing intuitions. However, many people believe that it is problematic a hypothetical does not represent a realistic situation. On the contrary, it is only problematic if it is represented as being realistic when it is not realistic.
What does hypothetical mean in text?
1 : involving or based on a suggested idea or theory : involving or based on a hypothesis a hypothetical argument/discussion The theory is hypothetical. 2 : not real : imagined as an example She described a hypothetical case to clarify her point. a hypothetical question/situation/example.
What is a hypothetical person?
a human being whose existence is not directly attested, but is deduced by other evidence.
What is the root word of hypothetical?
“founded on or characterized by a hypothesis, conjectural,” 1580s, from Latinized form of Greek hypothetikos “pertaining to a hypothesis,” from hypothesis (see hypothesis).
Is Imaginarily a word?
i·mag·i·nar·y. adj. 1. Having existence only in the imagination; unreal.
What are the 50 examples of synonyms?
50 Examples of Synonyms With Sentences
- Magnify – expand: He magnified their happiness like their pain.
- Baffle – confuse, deceive: The bad news he received consecutively confused him.
- Beautiful – attractive, pretty, lovely, stunning: You are the most beautiful woman I have ever seen in my life.
What are the 10 examples of antonyms?
Types of Antonyms
Examples include: boy — girl, off — on, night — day, entrance — exit, exterior — interior, true — false, dead — alive, push — pull, pass — fail.
What are the three types of antonyms?
There are three types of antonyms: Gradable Antonyms, Complementary Antonyms, and Relational Antonyms.
What does Hypothetically speaking mean?
: by making an assumption for the sake of discussion or argument : in a hypothetical way speaking hypothetically In this lucid report …
What is the meaning of hypothetical question?
Filters. A question, based on assumptions rather than facts, directed to an expert witness intended to elicit an opinion. noun.
What’s the difference between theoretically and hypothetically?
Theoretical is used to discuss what we think we know. Hypothetical is used to discuss what we want to know. Theoretically is for when we build on what we know. Hypothetically is used for what we guess or won’t admit to knowing.
How do you answer a hypothetical question in law?
For the witness, it helps to keep the context clear by beginning the answer with, “In that hypothetical situation…” or “That was not the case, but if it was…” Explicitly referencing the hypothetical nature of the question also serves as a reminder-to-self, for the witness, a way to keep the limits of the question in …
How do you respond to a hypothetical question?
How to Answer the “Hypothetical” Interview Question
- DO take a few seconds to gather yourself. …
- DON’T blurt out the first thing that comes to mind. …
- DO ask questions if you need to clarify. …
- DON’T ramble or go off on tangents. …
- DO think about your own history. …
- DON’T feel pressured to give a definitive answer to the problem.
How do you ask a hypothetical question?
Hypothetical question list
- If you were a transformer, what vehicle would you turn into?
- What laws would you abolish if you could? …
- If extra lives were a thing in the real world, how would you get them?
- If you were a food, what food would you be?
- What animal would be way better if it was covered in scales?
How do you introduce a hypothetical situation?
When we talk about things that we imagine (hypothetical situations) we use present tense forms after phrases like what if, in case, suppose to talk about the future if we think that this is a situation that is likely to happen: You should take an umbrella in case it rains. Take your phone.
How do you use the word hypothetical?
Hypothetical in a Sentence ?
- For an assignment, each student had to write a response to a hypothetical scenario as though it had actually occurred.
- It is a waste of my time to respond to my boyfriend’s hypothetical questions about a cheating incident that never happened.
How do you write a hypothetical sentence?
Hypothetical sentences: tenses
- If + present simple -> future simple. Example: If you make a presentation, you will have a good mark.
- If + past simple -> conditional simple (would + infinitive) Example: If you told me, I would help.
- If + past perfect -> past conditional.